Friday, February 8, 2013

Every Picture Tells a Story

We've all heard the phrase, "a picture is worth a thousand words."  Truly, pictures are a universal language, conveying thoughts and emotions without the need for translation.  They can grab our attention, evoke feelings and even inspire us into action.  If they weren't so powerful and effective, corporations around the globe would never spend so much money on their advertising.

As a Colorado real estate agent, I am bound by the rules of the Real Estate Commission, which state that I am not to disparage my fellow agents.  Even if I did not take an oath of ethical behavior to become a Realtor, I would still abide by these rules.  It's just the right thing to do, not to mention how unbecoming it is to trash-talk your colleagues.  So in the spirit of public education, I will just speak in generalities.

Most folks start their home seaches on the internet these days, utilizing sites like Zillow and Trulia.  The first thing they see are photographs of homes for sale, so it's hugely important that the pictures be good quality - more than good, they should be outstanding.  If that first photograph is poor, often the buyer won't even bother to click on a link to see more pictures.  If they do, and all of the other photographs make the property look dumpy, they won't pursue it.

Unless that worker is stuck in the concrete, perhaps there's a better time to take the picture? Good photographers will take pictures at the best time of day for the direction the home is facing.

I am astounded by the number of horrible photographs I continue to see in listings everyday.  It's more than just a couple - its epidemic.  I often wonder how it is that the sellers don't fire their agents, or at least insist they hire a professional photographer to come back and redo the photos.  When I see underexposed and out-of-focus photographs, when no one bothered to pick up the underwear in the middle of the floor, or when there are no accompanying pictures at all, I know that agent is neglecting his duty to his client. 

Proper exposure and composition can make a room go from depressing to inviting.  Most people's rooms don't look like model homes, but there is still a lot an expert can do to maximize what's there.

Maybe that sounds trivial, but it's not.  A seller can spend thousands of dollars readying her home for the market and paying professionals to get it sold - shouldn't she have confidence that her agent is going to do more than spend 5 minutes taking pictures with his phone?  Listing photos should present the property in its absolute best light.  They should be bright, sharp, well-composed, and make the viewer want to see more.  I think these photos speak for themselves (I know, I know, I went and added captions, anyway)!

Maybe the camera had a BluBlocker lens on?  If you can't get a good perspective like the photo on the right, perhaps it's better to not include one at all!


I would love to help you with your real estate journey. 
Please contact me at 303-917-7143 or robbin@stauferteam.com

No comments:

Post a Comment